COUNT DOWN

 



Hello dear readers! I hope you are well. It's Monday here. 10:15 in the morning. August 15th. I am counting the days until September. In my mind that month means Summer is over. I am making plans to head back to the Island. (Maine) There's still a lot of work to be done at the Homestead aka Mom's house. I hope to be there for most of the month but we shall see.

I'm happy to report that we have our air conditioning working. August 1st, 2nd, and 3rd were a bit chaotic with 4 workman all over the place. I had to make sure I was up and dressed by 7:30, a definite hardship for me! They completely cleared out the old units, we have two  CA units one does the top two floors and the other does the bottom two floors. And a heat pump. So, that's why it was so expensive.


I thought once we had a cooler house I would have a lot more get up and go but, sadly, that was wishful thinking. I am trying to keep ahead of the housework but there are days I sit and knit listening to books. 

I have been intermittently fasting a couple of days a week and I do feel better for it. So, there is that.  Stomach issues seem to be a family thing. Infact, 3 cousins as well as my older brother have died from stomach cancer. That alone, has made me want to change some of my eating habits. Thankfully I am not a smoker or drinker. However I have Acid Reflux disease and a Hiatal hernia. One thing I have !earned from my fasting is that the less food I have in my stomach, the better I feel.  But hunger pains eventually get the best of me. I am also reading food labels in the hope of cutting back on sugar/insulin. Baby steps. 

My cooking has become less hardy and more vegetables. Yesterday I made a huge turkey soup. I had cooked turkey meat in the freezer and veggies from Roger's garden that needed using. It came out delicious. No recipe just chicken broth, vegetable broth, onions, celery, peppers, carrots, peas, mild salsa, herbs of province seasoning, minced garlic, cut up turkey, and a cup of macaroni. A small bag of spinach went into the pot last. It was a big hit with Roger. I am slightly ashamed to say that I mostly cook one big amount of a recipe and we eat on it until it’s gone. Of course we have other food besides either in sandwiches or pizza or eating out. Roger eats out a lot (breakfast) with his buddies but we mostly order in. After I have my eye injections we eat out at my favorite restaurant because I feel I deserve it.🙂

I must say, it's beautiful here. I walk the dogs around the property and see deer resting in the shade of the trees. Thankfully the dogs don't bother them. I should be taking pictures but I always forget about it until it's too late.  My Rose of Sharon bushes are beautiful. I haven’t taken any pictures of them but I will.





I am listening to: THE DIAMOND EYE by Kate Quinn.

 I have read two books that are book books if you know what I mean. Lately I have been buying second hand books online so that I can pass the books on to my friend who doesn’t have a computer. The latest are: THE UNEXPECTED RETURN OF JOSEPHINE FOX. I can’t remember the author. And THE DRY by Jane Harper, I have yet to read IN THE WOODS by Tana French. On Kindle I am reading all the books in Rhys Dylan’s DCI Evan Warlow crime series. 

My cowl knitting project is coming along. I can get quite excited over the different color yarns I am using.    

I took these looking out my living room window with my iPhone.For some reason they didn’t come out as clear as they could have. I think my hand must have been shaking a bit. 






And there you have it dear ones.

Susan 💕




Blast from the past

My daughter, Judi’s, graduation from Cedar Crest College…25 years ago. She sent this to me the other day. I didn’t have it in my photo albums. Gee…where have the years gone?? My outfit looks 2 sizes too big. Her Dad is no longer alive and I now look like I’m ready to join him. But, it touched my heart. ❣️


  





Comments

  1. Beautiful flowers and the deer are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am waiting for September too!!!! And I know exactly what you mean about having to be up and ready for workers at your house!!! Beautiful photos, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the air conditioning is fixed. The deer are such a treat to see. We don’t have them on the island. The blooms are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have lots of deer! Your flowers are a real treat to see! Glad you got your AC fixed:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to read the Ac issue was resolved, Susan. Such a lovely group of photos in this post. Glad to read that you are feeling better for cutting down on food, so difficult to do, and hope fasting will not be harmful. yes to waiting for September to arrive with cooler temps. Hope you will have a successful revisit to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Susan, I've been absent from reading blogs for many months--maybe a year. But it's good to return to your upbeat writing and your appreciation of nature and of simply living in the present. I'm hoping to travel to Maine next fall (2023) with one of my nieces. The hope is to hike in the Arcadia National Park and to have a cabin close to the shore. This has been on my bucket list for decades. Now, fortunately, I have a niece who loves to travel and explore, and to have and make adventures. So I'll be reading your blog faithfully from now on! Peace. Dee Ready (cominghometomyself)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers ...
    I always enjoy the month of September and it's almost here!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I generally like to cook, I often say the best thing about cooking is the leftovers. :) Your turkey soup sounds delicious. Beautiful pictures again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure it feels good to have the AC done and working.
    I love to cook but have to watch what we eat due to Mikes heart condition.
    Lovely photo of you and your daughter, its sad when a loved one pass's, I lost my parents in the last six years no matter what age you are it still hurst, I am in my 70s.
    Lovely photos of your flowers and the deer are beautiful.
    Have a lovely week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have missed ou on so much...eading your post reminds me I really need to.change the way I eat but the more stressed I am, the more I eat and the more wrong stuff i eat, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! And if I do not always leave a reply please know that I read and treasure each one.💖

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER IS BEAUTIFUL

HEALTH IS WEALTH