WINTER ON THE ISLAND





WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES

Up, down and around. That would just about describe my life lately. And I have to admit I have had a bad case of the blahs. It seems like every day there is a new zhappening here at the homestead. ("zhappening" is a word I coined: my last name begins with the letter "z" plus happening.) I do not think of my self as a jack of all trades nor do I want to be multi talented. After all, I have a husband, right?  Yes, I am talking about the unexpected events that just pop up and throw a monkey wrench into an otherwise peaceful, harmonious existence. Sometimes they can be little things that just plain ruin your day, like a mouse trap that snaps shut on your finger when you are trying to figure out how they work. Or leaving the grocery store,  feel a draft, look down and realize the only buttons done up on your shirt are the top and bottom buttons and you had wondered why the check out cashier guy wouldn't look you in the eye when he was talking to you. I could go on but I think you get my drift. So this blog post is all about regaining peacefulness.

So, even though I have taken a kzillion pictures of this Island I hope you don't mind if I show you a few more. I always have errands to run and it's wonderfully therapeutic to see a scene and think "I should go back and snap a picture of that!" And when I finally get back to the house I have 73 new photos to upload to my computer! And, I am feeling refreshed! I show Mom my new pictures which makes her happy since she is housebound most of the time. I can't remember the last time she took a drive with me other than going off the Island to a doctor's appointment. 

ON TUESDAY THE WEATHER WAS BLAH





Eiders off shore




Stonington shipyard.



Fifield Point road.


The name of the black boat is called Darth Vador.

ON WEDNESDAY IT WAS MILD AND GORGEOUS



Looking towards Little Deer Isle from Deer Isle

Deer Isle Village views.
The back of the village shops looking out to the sea.



The Mill Pond in the Village.


The lovely little library in the village. I stopped in for a couple of Martin Walker "Bruno" books.




Houses looking down on the little village of Deer Isle.



Weathervane of a firefighter on the old firehouse that is now an antique shop. 

Carmen's Rock
High school seniors paint their names on Deer Isle rock. A tradition of long standing.
Long Cove, South Deer Isle.
Long Cove
Long Cove


AND THURSDAY, YESTERDAY, WE HAD A SNOWSTORM


The only two feeders left on the line after the last gales we had the other week.
Mom's really old apple tree.
Eugene  Lane (named after my father) continues on past our house.

Notice the lobster buoys hanging from the trees.

Summer Cottage.

Another summer cottage.

I took the snow pictures around noontime but it didn't stop snowing until evening.  Unfortunately,  my little Canon pocket camera didn't show the snow falling in any of my photos except for one...

Looking out to sea but you don't see the sea!
So, there you have it, three days and each day a drastic change in the weather. Today could be added but I don't have any pictures. I refuse to venture out in 10 degrees, without wind chill figured in, to take pictures.  The wind is blowing the snow around but the sun is shining brightly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER IS BEAUTIFUL

HEALTH IS WEALTH