A MISH MASH




Good morning dear bloggy friends! It's a dreary day here and I am biding my time until Mom wakes up. Her bedroom is right off the kitchen so I try not to make a lot of noise in the mornings. She suffers from insomnia so she is usually going to sleep when early birds are getting up. Her day doesn't usually begin until one o'clock! Yes, you read that right. I, on the other hand, do my best work in the mornings. I have learned to adjust after all these years. I have been my mother's caregiver for five years now. I came on December 1st when my dad had a bad fall and ended up in the hospital. He never returned home again. He was in the Island nursing home for a year and a half before he passed. 
Speaking of the Island nursing home. A crisis is going on there. It came on quite suddenly.  Covid has robbed four people of their lives and over half of the residents and some of the staff have tested positive. It is in the local newspapers and local TV stations are covering it on the evening news, daily. So sad to think of those lovely dears suffering. Apparently one of the staff brought it in. They tested a false negative.


 Tomorrow I have an appointment in Ellsworth with my retina doctor to get my monthly eye injection. I am slightly overdue because of traveling, etc.  It's a worry to get out and about now that the virus is so close and God forbid that I should bring it home to Mom! I would never forgive myself. I will take all precautions as usual. And, tomorrow we are in for one of our nor'easters! Rain and wind tomorrow changing to snow on Sunday.



Now, on to other things...Roger calls me every night and he keeps me posted to happenings. Lynsey, our youngest granddaughter, age 18, was involved in an accident. It's not clear who hit who but her car was totaled. She was not injured. Roger doesn't ask too many pertinent questions so I don't know about the other driver or their vehicle. He will probably have more info tonight. I have given him a list, lol. I could call my son but to do so would involve me going over the bridge to Caterpillar Hill to get a signal for my cell phone.
looking down on the bridge to little deer isle from caterpillar hill

And using Mom's landline would be very expensive for a call to Pennslyvania since she doesn't have a plan with minutes, etc. I tend to let the family call me when I am on the Island. 💖



No one seems to be doing much Christmassy around here. No trees decorated and looking pretty in windows or decorations outside on lawns. I think the Island is shocked and upset by the tragedy happening at the nursing home and of course, our country is still in a state of unrest with the election aftermath and covid.

I am trying to rise above it all with cookie baking. My favorite Christmas cookie of them all! Peanut butter blossoms. And I have set  up the Christmas village. These pictures are stock pictures. They look so much better than what I have on hand. Today I am using a lot of photos from my illustration album.  They are happy, bright,  and cheerful. (The nursing home picture was from the newspaper article online.)





THROUGH MY KITCHEN WINDOW


These pictures were taken this morning. White-throated sparrows, black-eyed juncoes and a chickadee. 


I counted 18 turkeys altogether. They came real early the other morning. It was cold and windy. 
I haven't seen many deer since I got back. I know they come at night because I spooked them the other night when I went out on the deck to look at the moon, the stars and to listen to the waves washing up on the shore.

 Shortly before I left PA I took these photos from inside the house.




💕




Happy and Bright is what we need in our lives!

Take good care of yourselves!


 

Comments

  1. Lots of people in the UK have put up Christmas trees and decorations early this year as we all need some good cheer. So sorry to hear that Covid has reached your Island and the nursing home, I feel so sorry for the residents. I'm glad your granddaughter is unhurt following the car accident. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful wildlife photos! Glad your granddaughter did not get hurt! So scary. Peanut butter cookies with hershey kisses...my favorite also!! People are decorating for Christmas here early. Lowes and Costco were just about sold out of Christmas decorations right after Thanksgiving. We are thinking that because of being at home so much, that people are looking for more joy and that's why they decorated early. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nursing homes in Canada have been devastated thus far. We are lucky here on the island. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about the nursing home. Sadly that is county wide. Sorry also about your granddaughter's accident but wonderful that she wasn't hurt.
    Was enjoying the little bird pictures and the turkeys were a surprise.
    Do take care and stay safe in these scary times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope and pray that you and your Mom don’t get that dreaded virus. Yes, we need happy, bright things in our lives right now. hope the rest of the weekend goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel about going to the dr...Roger wants to try a different mask on his CPAP and i told him i just dont think he needs to risk being out right now. I love the photos of all the creatures. Oh, i am somglad your granddaughtervwasnot hurt in the accident.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our nursing homes were badly hit when Covid first raised its head, it's terrible as once it's there it's so hard to stop it tearing through the whole place. I'm sorry to hear that your granddaughter was involved in a car crash but it's a blessing that she wasn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that your granddaughter was not injured in the accident! How scary that must have been! Lovely photos of the birds and deer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to read about the outbreak in the nursing home there, Susan, and sadly the resulting deaths. I hope all goes well with your eye exam and being extra careful is all we can do these days. Too bad that folks are not decorating for Christmas because that could life their spirits a bit. We all all decorated inside the apt and outside and it makes us feel good to see the tree lit each evening. Hope that nor-easter wasn't too bad for you. Here in Nashua, we had rain, then snow, then back to rain which cut down on the snow totals (drat). Baking cookies is what I did as well - chocolate chip here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The darn Juncos bring snow! Hope your appointment goes okay. Most Nursing Homes in this area have covid...lots of elderly dying...everyday the newspaper has a few obits:(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! And if I do not always leave a reply please know that I read and treasure each one.💖

Popular posts from this blog

SUMMER IS BEAUTIFUL

HAPPY AUTUMN!